No-Sew Star Wars BB-8 Costume
I’m sharing this adorable no-sew BB-8 costume that I made for my daughter several years ago for Halloween. It’s still hard to believe the girl that always chooses to be a princess, requested a BB-8 costume instead! We have done Star Wars themed family costumes in the past, but when we started talking out what everyone wanted to be and realized we had a Force Awakens theme going on, we had to go with it!
I jumped on the idea of a BB-8 costume. Because I could totally see her changing her mind (when she realized she had chosen a droid over a princess), I knew I needed to make it girly and cute. This tutu-style BB-8 costume satisfied her desire for something cute, while still being super fun!
This is a incredibly easy costume to make and the end product is adorable! I am so glad she loves it. The roller skates may be reconsidered for actual Trick-or-Treating, but they are one of her favorite parts for now. I considered making my own hat of some kind, but had already fallen in love with this cute bike helmet a while ago. I figured it was a good time to buy one, and I’m glad we did! The helmet really makes the costume, in my opinion.
Gather the Supplies
Here is what you need to create this fun costume:
- Fabric Scissors
- 2 Rolls of White Tulle and 1 Roll of Orange
- Orange Felt
- White Leggings
- White Shirt
- Hot Glue Gun and Glue
- BB-8 Hat or Helmet – This is the exact one I got!
- Roller Skates (Optional!)
Here is what you need to do to create the tutu skirt:
- Cut a piece of tulle that is long enough to tie around your child’s waist and make a bow in back
- Measure your desired length and cut a piece of tulle that is double that length
- Fold your tulle in half, making a loop at one end
- Positioning your loop downward behind the waste piece, bring the two ends over and thru your loop and pull tight
- Repeat step 4 and push all pieces together so they are tight until you have a skirt that is wide enough to wrap around your child’s waist.
TIP: For more details on how to do this, see the pictures in my other post here
Here is what you need to do to create the shirt with BB-8 emblem:
- I used an IKEA child size plate to trace a circle onto a piece of orange felt
- Using a marker, mark out what you want your circle to look like
- Cut out circle piece
- Glue onto shirt (you could also sew it on, but this is the no-sew option!)